Sunday 19 October 2014

The heart of Evangelization:

Hey you.

Yes you. The lone stranger in the crowd. You who has till now not experienced God.

Today I want to tell you many things. How should I start?

Don't judge me for being a Christian. I don't approach you with an intention.

You are not an evangelization project. This is not a competition and your soul is not the prize. I don't turn people into projects. If I spend time with you its because I am genuinely interested in you. You collectively with your strengths and flaws, your talents, your unique thoughts, your weaknesses, the good with the bad. You just so perfectly you. The distinct soul within the very human body.

I respect you as a person, I attribute to you the dignity you deserve. You are a free thinking individual and I do not seek to impose upon you my ideals. 

I want to befriend you. But I don't have a hidden agenda. I don't keep a scoreboard of those who I have evangelized. 

I won't judge you, criticize you or condemn you. I won't correct you according to my perceptions. I can't. After all I have sinned too. And all sin is the same in the eyes of God. In fact I am more accountable, my sin is greater for I know that what I do is sin.

Sometimes it may appear that I act morally or spiritually superior to you. Correct me with charity. I am not superior. We are after all partners in the same journey. Equals. It matters not how many years lie between us, it matters not how much more time I've spent journeying with the Lord. What matters is that we are all still on the journey and we remain equal in His eyes until we reach our destination.

I am not on a superior spiritual plane all by myself. If that thought ever occurs to me know that I am beneath you not above.

We at every moment will be equals. I can learn from you as much as you can learn from me. Let us learn and grow holier together. Let us ask doubts and question. Every opinion, every thought you have matters, no question too dumb, no doubt too trivial. After all what is knowledge? If I have everything in the world and have not in my heart love, I am nothing.

I cannot be responsible for your personal salvation. I cannot take upon myself the burden of your soul. Not because I don't want to. I can't. But I will point you in the right direction. I can show you the one who will be your salvation. I am a mere beggar showing another, where to find bread.

Never be in awe of me or anyone else. Let no earthly being be your standard or else you will be dissapointed. Your standard is Him and Him alone.

At every moment the overriding emotion that motivates me will be love. Not a sense of duty, or obligation. When I call you, message you, come to speak to you I don't do it with the air of someone who ministers to you. I don't check up on your spiritual life like an obsessive preacher, I am not your mentor, I don't come to help you. I don't pity you or thrust unto you my sympathy. You don't need my sympathy, my pity or my help.

I come to you with love. Genuine concern as a friend. And at all times that will be what motivates me.

When you're upset I won't sprout bible verses like a fanatic. Not a motivational article or an inspirational quote. I won't choose the cowards way out. I won't hide behind verses and articles but never ask you how you are, what you need, how I can help. I won't assume what is best for you, I will always ask you what you want.

When I share knowledge with you that's because it inspired me too. And I want you to know about it.

I will be with you, hold you if you want to cry, be a listening ear in the middle of the night. Before I impose my theology upon you, before I drown you with my advice I will ask you if you are okay first. Feel free to speak, cry and rage out. After all am I not your friend?

If I have no words to say I will silently stand by you. You will not go through dark times alone just because I am unsure what to do.

If our friendship is threatened, do not fear. I won't leave you. I won't believe others mindlessly, I will not judge, I will not cling on to paradigms. I will first and foremost come to you and ask you directly. Speak out even if you are afraid of hurting me. Because truth hurts but silence kills.

If you ignore me I will ask what is wrong. I won't give up on you.

I love you. Not just because I am called to love you. Duty plays no role in this. I love you because you are you. Because the essence of my Creator is love and His essence flows within me. With the same love that formed you, He loves you through me and I love you too.

I want you to have eternal life. Yes I want you in heaven with me. Not because your soul is an additional feather in my cap, not because its a personal victory for me to lead you into heaven. Because heaven wouldn't be heaven without you. 

I love you friend. At every moment in my heart is love.

And that is the core of evangelization. Not pretty words and magnanimous acts. Not great theology and supreme knowledge. Not impossible phenomenons and miracles. The heart of evangelization is love.

Sincere love will always make itself known. It will neither hide nor go unrecognised.

If you can recognize my love come, lets journey together. Let's go rock this heavenly party.

And let's take along with us as many as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment