Wednesday 8 October 2014

Behind the Mask:

You walked into my life. You looked me up and down. My face, my body, my physical appearance. You listened to my words, you observed my mannerisms, you glanced at the façade I put on, but you didn’t glance through. You quietly stored away what you gleaned; you assumed and presumed, you passed judgments. You stuck firm by your convictions, stubborn in your belief that you understood me, that somehow you knew me better than I knew myself. And I laughed at your foolishness, your childish presumption.

Satisfied that you had learnt all there is to know about me you walked away. Without ever knowing who I am, you decided that you never needed me in your life based on what you saw, what you heard, what you believed. And yet again you stood firm, you were an impenetrable fortress, denser than a forest you refused to see the light.

“Fool” I whispered quietly “I let you see what you wanted to see, I let you hear what you wanted to hear. You never saw me for who I am, you never tried to crack the mask, to stare deep into the swirling galaxies in me, to gaze at the beauty within and now you never will.”

You who chose to listen to others over me, who chose to believe others, you who never strove to see the truth for yourself. Let this be your curse, you who willfully blinded yourself. You will never see.

If you ever saw my naked soul, you would weep unceasingly over what you lost.

And after giving it my all, satisfied; I move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment