Tuesday 28 October 2014

Mystical Serenity:

On weary days I walk along the sandy beach, trudging through the dunes. I sit facing the mighty sea and let the sand run through my fingers. The beach air gently lifts my hair as I gaze at the ocean. I close my eyes, tasting the salty sea mist.

Beautiful.

The setting sun in the horizon paints the sky with bold shades of red, orange and pink. The sea glimmers like a thousand gems, calm and dangerous at the same time. Mighty, unrestrained and free.

I feel peace envelope me as I take in my surroundings. As the waves hit the shore washing away the traces of the words I etched on the beach sand I feel my troubles ebb away. The weariness leaves my shoulders and nothing exists anymore except me and the sea.

I wonder what it is that people look for when they leave the worries of the day and seek out the sea. When they look for the quietness of the forest and try to disappear in the immense mountains. When troubled it seems that we want to be alone, away from noise and worldly things and we seek out Mother Nature. Because the vastness and beauty of nature makes us forget our problems for a little while. We are reminded of how small and insignificant we are, nothing but a dot in this vast universe and our problems no longer overwhelm us.

The evening turns to night and I lie back on the sand and look at the night sky. Stars twinkle at me mischievously as if they know all my secrets. My thoughts turn to loved ones who left the world. I imagine them enjoying in heaven looking down at me lovingly, watching my every move. I think of the amazing heavenly party going on upstairs. I think of my favorite saint St. Clare and wonder if she’s sitting beside me giving me the strength to keep loving when my own strength is insufficient.

The beauty of creation never fails to astound me. How beautiful then must be the Creator?

When I read a beautiful poem, the words leave a mark on my heart. The raw honesty of the verses, the emotion expressed in written words make me feel as if I saw but a glimpse of the soul of the author. The author whom I have never met and probably will never meet. But through his creation I get to know him a little better. And could creation ever surpass the creator?

Maybe we seek out creation because we want to be closer to the Creator. We find comfort in the beauty of nature because it’s an accurate representation of who He is. Through the art we come to know the artist. However none of these compare to the greatest masterpiece, the grand highlight of all Creation.

Me.

Crafted in the image and likeness of Him. Born with the essence of Love itself, to love and be loved. I need not look at nature to find Him. He is with me always.

He is in me.

And my restless heart finds rest in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment