Wednesday 20 August 2014

And it wanders...

Martin Luther King Jr. was responsible for the Protestant Reformation. And as a hardcore Catholic I do find myself annoyed with him for creating one of the greatest church divisions in history. I wonder why he couldn't work to reform from within and chose to leave the Church instead. But on days like today I feel like I can sympathize. I feel his discontent as he gazed at the Mother Church, I feel his unhappiness as he looks at the atrocities committed by those in power, I feel the helplessness of only being able to watch and not being able to do anything to transform. I doubt the decision to leave the Church and create his own was an easy one. I imagine that he spent days and nights tossing and turning over in bed and I see him asking himself " I could work from within to ignite change but must the cost of change be my salvation?"

Because you see one man pitting himself against the strongly bureaucratic, hierarchical Church is no easy feat. And in the process he feared he would grow disillusioned and apart from Him. It was no easy choice to make, to leave behind the traditions he so loved.

And today as I look in dismay at my ministry I am faced with a similar decision. I could work from within to ignite change but must the cost of change be my formation?

And thus my mind wanders.

No comments:

Post a Comment