Monday 8 September 2014

Pandora's Box:

There is an ancient Greek myth about a woman called Pandora who had a curiosity to be reckoned with. Her curiosity was so great that the gods decided to test her by giving her a pithos - a jar filled with a substance unknown and warned Pandora against opening the box. Naturally Pandora could not resist the temptation and opened the box and from it spewed grief, destruction, hatred, pain, sicknesses and many evils were loosed unto the earth. The only thing that remained in the box was Epiphus - Hope. Hope didn't leave on its own because hope never leaves until you decide to give it up.

Within ourselves I think we all have a Pandora's box just waiting to be opened. But unlike Pandora we have the opposite problem. Instead of opening it we keep it firmly shut. All emotions are compressed and are hidden behind a mask of serenity and indifference. And we collect and store away things till the box is filled to the brim and explodes with the slightest trigger. What's worse along with all the evils we let loose we also give up Hope - the one thing that would not leave on it's own.

If Pandora had not accepted the box in the first place she would not have been tempted to open it. If we had the honest habit of speaking our mind when perturbed in our souls there would be no pithos, no jar of destruction, no evil waiting to be released only Hope in the things to come.

Changing a habit that I've perfected over a lifetime is no easy feat. Indifference is my reality, the mask of serenity is my comfort zone to prevent myself from getting hurt. And like Pandora I'm tempted to slip into my old ways.

Stay close to me Epiphus - I won't give you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment