Monday 15 September 2014

Goodbye Friend:

I know you’ll never read this. Even if you did, you probably wouldn't figure out it was about you. You thought yourself perceptive but you were endearingly dumb that way.

I remember how we first met. That wow meeting that blew me away. The many times we spent together after that, the many emails, the billion phone calls. How we were never close inspite of that because I always kept you at a distance, waiting and watching to see if you’d come through.

I don’t know when I let you in – when I allowed you into my heart. It happened so gradually I never noticed but before I knew it myself you had become important to me.

I remembered that horrible day when it all unraveled. When the distance that had been building for some time came to fruition. I wish I could take that day back. Maybe we would still be friends.

I wish you saw me for who I really was, not whom you perceived me to be. I wish you looked at me as a human with feelings as acute as anybody else instead of the monster you painted me to be. We were so alike we could have been the best of friends but we ended up worse than enemies. I wish you didn't shield yourself due to fear because I had my shield up as well. How could we be friends if we both cannot be the first to take a step?

I wish I felt more sadness when you left.  I waited for the pain to come but it never did. You slipped out of my life as quickly as you slipped in. I wish in futility.

Finally I’m ready to let you go. I wish this moment was more poignant, more beautiful. But it’s neither of those things, it just is.

Goodbye Friend. I hope you live well wherever you are.



No comments:

Post a Comment