Friday 1 January 2016

The Year in Review: Changing Destiny with Hope

I can’t believe that 2015 flew by so fast and that it’s 2016 already. It’s crazy.

For me 2015 was an extremely funny year. It was a year in which I got struck again and again with blows from the most unexpected places especially from people who were close to me. And I guess if all this had happened in 2014 I would have defined it as the worst year of my life but interestingly 2015 has been the best year in all my 22 years.

Some of the positive things that had happened:

Loving can hurt - I started testing out my theory of loving inspite of getting hurt. Which meant that when I got hurt I tried my best not to dwell on it and consciously act how I would act towards someone I really loved. It worked wonders. True some people tend to take advantage of the perceived weakness but the people that truly love you will treasure you for it. Remembering that to love is to be vulnerable helped.

Happiness - I realized that happiness takes effort. I had to go out and do things to make myself happy even when I didn’t feel like it. I had to call up a friend or hang out somewhere peaceful or read a book or simply sit in prayer when such thoughts intruded. It’s the easiest thing to sit by yourself and whine and moan about your state of affairs which achieves nothing. Forcing myself into action, wearing that smile when I had no reason to smile all contributed towards erasing any self pity I was wallowing in.

Reading – I threw myself into reading with gusto this year and I read a record number of books including a bunch of books I have been desperately wanting to read for the longest time and I had the most magical time.

Dad’s recovery – This was one of the greatest miracles that happened last year. From the beginning to the end it was a series of miracles and through the whole affair I could see God’s hand moving beautifully instilling hope where there would otherwise have been despair.

My new job – I absolutely love my new job and I have been blessed with amazing and caring colleagues who make work something to look forward to than something to dread.

Amazing friends – It was the presence of these friends that made it possible for me to carry forward this year, they were constantly pulling me out of my misery and I am so glad I could spend so much quality time with them this year. Like Winnie the pooh says how fortunate I am to have something that would make saying goodbye so painful.

Midnight mass!!! It was one of things on my bucket list for the longest time and I finally got to take that coveted football field picture with all my friends! It was one of the best nights ever!

Summer camp – This was a funny one but I wanted to prove to myself that I am capable of handling a bunch of kids since the last time was such a miserable failure and I am happy to report that it was a resounding success! My group came second overall and I was over the moon.

Rediscovering childhood – There was something freeing about not being concerned about how people perceive you and this year especially I decided not to let such things affect me. I felt like I was rediscovering my childhood and it was plain awesome.

God – And how can I end this post without talking about my wonderful God? He’s been too amazing to me this year and I am so so thankful for everything I have been blessed with.

I think what made this year so different was the presence of hope. Every day had it’s ups and downs and some days had more downs than ups but realizing that it was just a bad day not a bad life made all the difference. Not dwelling on unpleasant things, constantly pushing myself into the pursuit of happiness and the presence of wonderful friends who journeyed with me made each day full of hope, each day something to look forward to. My cup overfloweth.

Wishing you all a happy and blessed 2016!






                                                                  Midnight Mass Club!

No comments:

Post a Comment