Wednesday 27 January 2016

Death of a dream:

I never thought I would know happiness
I assumed that life had been good enough to me
I was satisfied materially
I had everything that I wanted physically
So it made sense that I had to go without something else
When people sat with friends and chatted late into the night with their lovers
I watched them with resignation knowing that it would not happen for me
Yet uselessly the hope stayed, longing to be fulfilled
And tiny dreams sprung from it only to be shattered instantly
Without giving me time to hope
But one day I started dreaming a beautiful dream
A dream I have never dreamt before
And in this dream everything I've ever wanted came true
And it kept going on and on
Till I thought I would never wake
And the hope I had been crushing valiantly for so long
Came bursting forth from within
The more beautiful the dream grew
The more afraid I was
Because a happy dream makes you unhappy when you wake
So now I stand before the cliff
Wavering on the edge
Reality waits for me below
And I stand here wondering when I will be woken up
It might be today
It might be years from now
But I know that whenever it may be
I will wake up in tears
Mourning the death of a dream

No comments:

Post a Comment