Sunday 14 December 2014

Miracles in December:

It's that time of the year when a mysterious happiness takes hold of everyone. The time in which no matter how bad things seem, no matter how dire the circumstances its difficult to stay in despair. The air tingles with magic and a mystical hope seizes the heart.

The whole universe seems to be in harmony, rejoicing for some reason unknown. And the joy is infectious. Unknowingly as I sit under the lit up bridge, staring at the water, I smile.

The winter air is chilly. I shiver and draw my body closer to myself. I see couples walking hand in hand, warmed by the presence of each other. My heart twinges with longing for companionship. I brush that aside and focus on the magical atmosphere. The stars are winking at me again.

My thoughts turn to some amazing women I have met in my life. Holy women, women of God with so much faith and trust in Him that I can't help but marvel. Their greatest desire was to get married and they were always hopeful about the future. No matter how many years had passed without any signs, they held on with fervent faith that their desires would materialize.

Sometimes when it got hard to trust in the Lord they gave in to sadness of the soul. But right away they would pick themselves up and console each other. They would try their best to be satisfied in Him and trust in His time.

I wonder at times looking at them. Every now and then hopelessness engulfs me. I look up to heaven and wonder what God is doing, I wonder why He tests them this way.

Doubting Thomas has competition. I could easily give him a run for his money.

I sigh heavily. A verse pops into my my mind. Delight in the Lord and He will honor the desires of your heart. For it is He who gave you those desires.

Well, I think sarcastically, how nice of you to give them such desires and make them wait for so long.

Jesus is smiling annoyingly in that serene way. As if everything is going to be alright.

My longing betrays me. It shows that I need something much more than Him to be satisfied. I have yet to reach perfect love. After all perfect love would drive out all fear.

"I gave you those desires because I will fulfill them" He promises "I will not disappoint".

I trust you. I have to trust in you otherwise all hope is lost.

Like a little child making a wish I close my eyes and make a wish. Amaze me Lord, I say, amaze me beyond my expectations. Give those girls the guys they have been prayerfully waiting for so long. Let this be my Christmas miracle.

After all this was the month of the first miracle. When Love came down to rescue me.

So I wait patiently. For miracles in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment